Just an average mo...

I'm not loud...nor am i quiet...I'm just average. I'm not rich...nor am i poor...I'm just average. I'm not a genius...but i am not dumb...I'm just average. I'm not a meanie...but i am not too nice...I'm just average. Just your average mo...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The "D"


"...And I Welcome u to Detroit City
I said welcome to Detroit City..."
-Eminem



That was the theme song this weekend as I ventured home to good ole Motown for superbowl weekend. The city had been taken over by a mob of fanatics dressed in yellow and black, waving terrible towels...but it still looked beautiful to me.

My plane landed late on friday nite, but we still ventured downtown for a sneak peak of the motor city. WOW. Detroit did it...they worked so hard to make it pretty for this weekend, and boy did it ever look good. it was definately detroit in its brightest hour. the construction cones were obsolete, no pot holes on the way into the city, they built fancy bridges on the highway, even gave the big tire a new hubcap! Rumor has it that the ugly abandoned buildings were covered with giant pillowcases and the homeless were paid to get out of downtown...detroit had an impression to make. Amazing advertisements lit up the sides of buildings, people flooded the streets of greektown and hockeytown, the people mover was filled to capacity, winterfest and cobo entertained families, there were even retail spots in the city!

Maybe I am biased because i love the city, and truly believe in its potential...but everyone i asked said they were impressed with the city (well, except for the AWFUL weather we had). Detroit proved to the world that it can be a world-class city. granted, there is still a TON of work to be done...but this weekend offered a sneak-peak at the city's potential...and it made for a very happy Mo.



Bricktown2



downtown


Ren Cen


Greektown after dark


Superbowl


Welcome to our turf


hockeytown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home